Everyday actions have an influence on our world and ecosystems, whether we drive a vehicle, use a plastic water bottle, or just toss rubbish away- it all adds up in the global carbon calculator.
Coachella continues to expand on its environmental programs and introduce new ones in order to reduce emissions, preserve water, and redirect garbage. We recognize that there is still much work to be done, and we remain dedicated to a future in which unsustainable consumption is a thing of the past.
We can’t do it alone, so please join us in our quest for a more sustainable Coachella.
- Minimize single-use plastics
- Create a Waste Gang squad to improve recycling and composting.
- Donate any unused items to local community partners.
- Collaboration with partners and businesses who support our projects
- Educate our employees & friends
- Share best practices
- Bring your own non-metal reusable water bottle
- Minimal footprint: carpool, camp, ride a shuttle
- To properly dispose of rubbish, please observe the notice on our waste containers.
- Leave no trace!
- Use your imagination and repurpose the clothing you currently own.
- To assist minimize travel emissions, we launched Carpoolchella in collaboration with Global Inheritance to reward participants who drive together in their vehicle.
Carpool & Win
- Fill your vehicle with four or more buddies and adorn it with CARPOOLCHELLA so that the secret spotter can see you as you pull in.
- Random Carpoolchellas may be contacted when parked and questioned.
- Qualified cars may be eligible to win a reward on the spot!
- Prizes include Ferris Wheel rides, food or merchandise vouchers, guest passes, VIP upgrades, and even VIP FOR LIFE!
- View 2022 participant & winner highlights!
- Visit Global Inheritance
- Weekend 1 & Weekend 2 Rules & Regulations for the 2023 Carpoolchella Sweepstakes
- Our festival shuttles transport up to 60,000** guests each day*. Not to mention that shuttles are a quick, convenient, and enjoyable method to go to and from the festival every day. Now is the time to reserve your seat!
- Each weekend, up to 35,000** people camp on-site rather than driving to and from the festival.
- Many of our food vendors have vegan options, and all are mandated to offer a vegetarian choice. Check back shortly for the whole menu!
- Laying on the grass is an important part of the festival experience. We utilize non-potable water to irrigate the polo field grass to keep it beautiful and green for you.
- We are replacing patches of grass surrounding the property with alternative landscaping to minimize the quantity of water used for irrigation.
Reducing Single-Use Plastics
- During the festivals, we will dramatically reduce single-use plastic bottles by using aluminum kageing for all drinks offered within the venue and while camping.
Water Refill Stations
- We are more than increasing the number of spickets at the venue and campsites.
- Aside from recyclable cups, all food providers must utilize biodegradable serviceware such as plates, cups, and utensils.
- Food from catering areas and food sellers, as well as things left by campers, are donated to local desert groups, including the Coachella Valley Rescue Mission and the Galilee Center. We provided a total of 28 tons* of food and goods in 2022.
- Leave no trace!
- We formed the Waste Gang team in 2018 to enhance the number of items recycled and composted during the event. They assisted us in diverting 141 tons* of mixed recyclables and 86 tons* of compost in 2022.
* Data accounts for Coachella & Stagecoach
The Energy Playground charges your phones and charges the crowd! The Global Inheritance Energy SeeSaws allows festivalgoers to learn about energy from the best seat in the house! Aside from gaining an additional bar on your phone, the Energy SeeSaws allow users to get their blood flowing and burn some calories!
The POSTed company is an interactive poster design company that uses crowd-sourced concept art to create posters that advocate for answers to big global concerns. Coachella spectators design and submit proposals, which are then vetted and offered as inspiration to professional artists for the fully-realized poster artwork. The resultant collection of POSTed Editions is freely accessible for download online and has been disseminated throughout the festival’s, artists’, and Global Inheritance’s social networks.
POSTed Studios Speaker Stage
Camping begins on Thursday. Global Inheritance and Coachella are collaborating on a POSTed Studio speaker stage. The format changes depending on the speaker, from Q&A to Ted Talk style to Show and Tell and Workshops. Some of your favorite artists and environmentalists will be speaking, as well as engaging in participatory workshops. Following each discussion, there will be a POSTed Studio design session where we will award awards for the best poster idea based on the most recent talk/workshop.
TRASHed Coachella allows amazing artists to transform regular recycling bins into pieces of art that encourage people all around the world to appreciate the beauty of recycling. Over 50 artists are working on this year’s incredible collection, which will be shown on the polo fields both weekends. Remember to snap and share your favorites! More information may be found here.
No bottle, can, or cup should be left behind! Coachella guests trade in bottles, cans, and cups for upgrades, unique products, festival experiences, meal coupons, cold water, and other perks. During Recycling Sundays, recyclers may even swap full bags of recyclables for a chance to win a special Coachella prize package. Recycling is a simple way to demonstrate your concern while earning some additional karma points. Don’t forget to put your strength to the test with one of our specially designed Can Crushers. More information may be found here.
- For over a decade, we’ve worked with Global Inheritance to create environmental and educational initiatives that raise awareness of global challenges like climate change. Global Inheritance and Coachella share a love for encouraging creativity and imagination, and their main objective is to create interactive programs that can be effortlessly incorporated into the festival experience.
Coachella Volunteer Positions with Global Inheritance
This Coachella, join the Global Inheritance team and help bring sustainable projects to reality! This year, Global Inheritance will bring back fan favorites like POSTed Studio + Speaker Stage, Carpoolchella, Art of Recycling, Energy Playground, Speaker Stage, 10 for 1/Recycling Store, and more! These initiatives’ details may be obtained at www.globalinheritance.org.
Volunteers must be at least 18 years old, enthusiastic about sustainability, have past event production experience, be highly driven, and bring a lot of enthusiasm to the event. Volunteers must arrange their own transportation to Indio, CA, and must be available to remain until Monday mid-morning of the festival weekend that they are working. A festival ticket, camping space in the staff area, and the majority of meals for the weekend will be supplied. Fill out the form below to apply. Candidates that are chosen will be called for a virtual interview. Spots are quickly filling up. Apply as soon as possible before it’s too late!
- Coachella’s official contribution beneficiary since 2019 is Galilee Center. The aim of the organization is to meet the needs of the neglected and underprivileged by giving food, clothes, and other basic necessities, as well as to affirm their dignity with love, compassion, and respect.
Coachella Valley Rescue Mission
- Coachella Valley Rescue Mission provides emergency assistance, rehabilitation programs, and community outreach to those facing homelessness, hunger, and other life issues.