Everyday actions have an influence on our world and ecosystems, whether we drive a vehicle, use a plastic water bottle, or just toss rubbish away- it all adds up in the global carbon calculator.
Coachella continues to build off its environmental initiatives and launch new ones to account for our emissions, save water and divert waste. We recognize that there is still much work to be done, and we remain dedicated to a future in which unsustainable consumption is a thing of the past.
We can’t do it alone, so please join us in our quest for a more sustainable Coachella.
- Minimize single-use plastics
- Create a Waste Gang squad to improve recycling and composting.
- Give any unused items to local community partners.
- Collaboration with partners and businesses who support our projects
- Educate our employees & friends
- Share best practices
- Bring your own non-metal reusable water bottle
- Minimal footprint: carpool, camp, ride a shuttle
- To properly dispose of rubbish, please observe the notice on our waste containers.
- Leave no trace!
- Use your imagination and repurpose the clothing you currently own.
- To assist minimize travel emissions, we launched Carpoolchella in collaboration with Global Inheritance to reward participants who drive together in their vehicle.
Carpool & Win
- Load your vehicle with four or more buddies and adorn it with CARPOOLCHELLA so that the secret spotter can see you as you pull in.
- Random Carpoolchellas may be contacted when parked and questioned.
- Eligible cars may be eligible to win a reward on the spot!
- Rewards include Ferris Wheel rides, food or merchandise vouchers, guest passes, VIP upgrades, and even VIP FOR LIFE!
- View 2022 participant & winner highlights!
- Visit Global Inheritance
- Weekend 1 & Weekend 2 Rules & Regulations for the 2023 Carpoolchella Sweepstakes
- Our festival shuttles transport up to 60,000** guests each day*. Not to mention that shuttles are a quick, convenient, and enjoyable method to go to and from the festival every day. Now is the time to reserve your seat!
- Each weekend, up to 35,000** people camp on-site rather than driving to and from the festival.
- Many of our food vendors offer vegan dishes and 100% are required to provide a vegetarian option. Check back shortly for the whole menu!
- Laying on the grass is an important part of the festival experience. When we irrigate the polo field grass to keep it nice and green for you, we use non-potable water.
- We are replacing patches of grass surrounding the property with alternative landscaping to minimize the quantity of water used for irrigation.
Reducing Single-Use Plastics
- During the festivals, we will dramatically reduce single-use plastic bottles by using aluminum kageing for all drinks offered within the venue and while camping.
Water Refill Stations
- We are more than increasing the number of spickets at the venue and campsites.
- Except from recyclable cups, all food providers must utilize biodegradable serviceware such as plates, cups, and utensils.
- We donate food from catering areas and food vendors and items left by campers to local desert organizations, Coachella Valley Rescue Mission and Galilee Center. We provided a total of 28 tons* of food and goods in 2022.
- Leave no trace!
- In 2018, we created the Waste Gang team to increase the amount of materials we recycle and compost at the festival. They assisted us in diverting 141 tons* of mixed recyclables and 86 tons* of compost in 2022.
* Data accounts for Coachella & Stagecoach
The Energy Playground charges your phones and charges the crowd! The Global Inheritance Energy SeeSaws allows festivalgoers to learn about energy from the best seat in the house! Apart from gaining an additional bar on your phone, the Energy SeeSaws allow users to get their blood flowing and burn some calories!
The POSTed Studio is an interactive poster design company that uses crowd-sourced concept art to create posters that advocate for answers to big global concerns. Coachella spectators design and submit proposals, which are then vetted and offered as inspiration to professional artists for the fully-realized poster artwork. The resultant collection of POSTed Editions is freely accessible for download online and has been disseminated throughout the festival’s, artists’, and Global Inheritance’s social networks.
POSTed Studios Speaker Stage
Camping begins on Thursday. Global Inheritance and Coachella are collaborating on a POSTed Studio speaker stage. The format changes depending on the speaker, from Q&A to Ted Talk style to Show and Tell and Workshops. Some of your favorite artists and environmentalists will be speaking, as well as engaging in participatory workshops. All talks will be followed by a POSTed Studio design session where we will give away prizes for the best poster concept based on the most recent talk/workshop.
TRASHed Coachella offers talented artists the opportunity to turn ordinary recycling bins into works of art that inspire people across the globe to see the beauty in recycling. Nearly 50 artists are working on this year’s incredible collection, which will be shown on the polo fields both weekends. Remember to snap and share your favorites! Further information may be found here.
No bottle, can, or cup should be left behind! Coachella attendees in the main venue and campgrounds trade in bottles, cans, and cups for upgrades, exclusive merchandise, festival experiences, food vouchers, cold water + more. On Recycling Sundays, recyclers may even swap full bags of recyclables for a chance to win a special Coachella prize package. Recycling is a simple way to demonstrate your concern while earning some additional karma points. Don’t forget to put your strength to the test with one of our specially designed Can Crushers. Further information may be found here.
- For over a decade, we’ve worked with Global Inheritance to create environmental and educational initiatives that raise awareness of global challenges like climate change. With a shared passion for fostering creativity and imagination, Global Inheritance and Coachella’s major goal is to design interactive programs that can be integrated seamlessly into the festival experience.
Coachella Volunteer Positions with Global Inheritance
During Coachella, join the Global Inheritance team and help bring sustainable projects to reality! Global Inheritance will be activating fan-favorites this year including: POSTed Studio + Speaker Stage, Carpoolchella, Art of Recycling, Energy Playground, Speaker stage, 10 for 1/Recycling Store and more! These initiatives’ details may be obtained at www.globalinheritance.org.
Volunteers must be at least 18 years old, enthusiastic about sustainability, have past event production experience, be highly driven, and bring a lot of enthusiasm to the event. Volunteers will need to provide their own transportation to Indio, CA, to arrive early Thursday morning and must be able to stay through Monday mid-morning of the festival weekend that they are working. Festival pass, camping space in the staff area, and most meals during the weekend will be provided. Fill out the form below to apply. Those that are chosen will be called for a virtual interview. Spaces are quickly filling up. Apply as soon as possible before it’s too late!
- Coachella’s official contribution beneficiary since 2019 is Galilee Center. The organization’s mission is to fulfill the needs of the underserved and disadvantaged by providing food, clothing and other basic needs and to affirm their dignity with love, compassion and respect.
Coachella Valley Rescue Mission
- Coachella Valley Rescue Mission provides emergency assistance, rehabilitation programs, and community outreach to those facing homelessness, hunger, and other life issues.